I am a Strength and Conditioning Specialist in Ottawa with the goal of helping people live better and play better through better movement. Whether your goal is improved sports performance, being “less creaky”, reducing low-back pain, or just feeling better; I can create a custom exercise program to help.
My training credentials include being a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) through the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA), and a Certified Personal Trainer (CPT) through the National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM), as well as being the first trainer in Ottawa who is Functional Movement Screen (FMS) Certified. Prior to becoming a trainer, I earned a Bachelor of Science in engineering, and I take advantage of that analytical, problem-solving background when developing programs for all of my clients.
I have additional experience as a ski instructor, a disabled ski guide, a hockey coach and an ultimate coach. As an athlete, I have competed nationally in ultimate (frisbee), and provincially in basketball and hockey.
Beyond the credentials and experience, I spend time every day increasing my knowledge by reading physiology and therapy textbooks and journals, so that I can incorporate the best new research into programs for you.
On a personal note, I have felt the impact of strength training and sound nutritional habits in three very different ways:
- I lost 25 pounds while increasing my muscle mass;
- I realized incredible improvements in speed, vertical, and stamina on the sports field;
- I had a relatively easy recovery from hip surgery which I attribute largely to the strength training I did both pre- and post-surgery.
I cannot say enough about how important smart strength training is to living a healthy, happy life. Think about how much better your life will be in 30 years if you start working on your mobility and fitness now. You could be one of those 76 year olds who finishes the marathon every year!
- Bachelor of Science (engineering) – Queen’s University
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) – National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA)
- Certified Personal Trainer – National Association of Sports Medicine (NASM)
- Functional Movement Screen (FMS) Certified
- Level 2 Ski Instructor – Canadian Ski Instructors Alliance (CSIA)
- Level 1 Coach – National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP)
- Level 2 Coach – Ontario Women’s Hockey Association (OWHA)
- Fundamental Movement Skills – NCCP
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Certification
- Automated External Defibrillator (AED) Certification
- Dr. Shirley Sahrmann – Diagnosis & Treatment of Movement System Impairments of the Lumbar Spine & Hip (Fairfield, CT)
- Titleist Performance Institute – Golf Fitness Instructor (Toronto, ON)
- Dr. Stuart McGill – Building the Ultimate Back: from rehabilitation to performance (Ottawa, ON)
- NCCP Fundamental Movement Skills (Ottawa, ON)
- Michael Boyle Strength & Conditioning Mentorship (Winchester, MA)
- Functional Movement Screen (Kitchener, ON)
- Perform Better Functional Training Summit 2009 and 2010 (Providence, RI)
- International Youth Conditioning Association Youth Fitness Training Seminar (Providence, RI)
- Sports Medicine Tips for Training Clients with Injuries (Ottawa, ON)
Fill in the form below and I will try to get back to you within a day.
Questions? Comments? Don't be shy!
Powered by Fast Secure Contact Form
Return to top